What is an electric shock?
An electric shock is a physical reaction to electrical currents passing through the body. They range from almost imperceptible reactions to highly dangerous shocks that can affect the heart muscle and cause tissue damage. In severe cases, this may be fatal.
The things which can cause an electric shock,
- Power lines
- Electric machinery
- Electric weapons, such as Tasters
- Household appliances
- Electrical outlets
The Symptoms of an electric shock?
- Breathing problems
- Loss of consciousness
- Muscle spasms
- Irregular heartbeat
Recommended Reading :- Electrical Systems Safety Rules
First Aid for Electric Shock Victims
- When any person gets electric shock. Don’t touch them!
- Do not try to move a victim touching a high voltage wire. We should force the person to remove from live contact with help of piece of wood, insulated rubber gloves, mat or insulated sticks. If these are not readily available on spot, remove him or her by pulling or pushing by a loop of rope, or cap or coat. But before using these, make sure that these are very dry and non-conducting.
- Keep the victim lying down. Unconscious victims should be placed on their side to allow drainage of fluids. Do not move the victim if there is a suspicion of neck or spine injuries unless absolutely necessary.
- Immediately after removing the victim from the live contacts, put your fingers in his mouth and remove if any matters are there in his mouth like, false teeth, gums etc. Then bring artificial respiration with continuous artificial respiration, side by side, remove his clothing without any delay.
- Apply mouth-to-mouth If the victim is not breathing resuscitation. If the victim has no pulse, begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Then cover the victim with a blanket to maintain body heat, keep the victim’s head low and get medical attention
- Call for emergency help.