Scott connection is also known as the three phase to two phase converter.
By using scott connection we can convert three phase in to two phase or vice-versa.Where two phase supply is required for the any equipment then by using scott connection we can get it.
Two phase supply is needed for following application are,
- To supply power to two phase electric furnaces
- To interlink two phase and three phase system.
- To supply power to 2 phase source from three phase equipment and vice-versa.
- Transformer 1 is main transformer and it has 50% tapping.
- Transformer 2 is teaser transformer and it has 86.6% tapping.
Teaser transformer is connected between center tapping D and Z.D is center tapping of main transformer and it connected across the line X and Y of three phase side. It has secondary PQ and primary XY.
3 phase input power is required for the scott connection. Its provide two single phase outputs. These output are at 90° out of phase and must not be connected in series or in parallel as it creates a vector current on the primary side. teaser transformer has secondary RS ans primary ZX.
Fig shows the phaser diagram of the voltage across primary and secondary.