Benefits Of Electric Actuator
An Electrical actuator is a motor that converts energy into torque which then moves or controls a mechanism or a system into which it has been incorporated. It can introduce motion as well as prevent it. An Electrical actuator typically runs on electric or pressure (such as hydraulic or pneumatic).
While an electric actuator might sound quite complicated, the basic design comes down to a geared motor. The motor inside an electric actuator may be comprised of different voltages. Regardless of the voltage, this is the primary torque-producing component.
in addition, an electric actuator is designed with a gear train that is coupled to the motor in order to improve torque while also dictating the output speed. To change the output speed, a cycle length control module would need to be installed. With this type of module, it is possible to increase the cycle time.
it should be noted that the electric motor in the electric actuator is comprised of an electrical winding, an armature, and a gear train. As the winding receives the power supply, a magnetic field is produced that causes the armature to begin rotating.
As long as power is supplied to the windings, the armature will continue rotating. Once the power supply is ceased, the motor will stop. The end-of-travel limit switches, which are vital to an electric actuator, are responsible for handling the cessation of power.
In order to prevent heat damage from excessive current draw from occurring, an electric actuator is typically outfitted with a thermal overload sensor.
In the event that the motor becomes overheated, the sensor will open the circuit, which is then closed once the motor has achieved a safe operating temperature.
User of Electric Actuators
There are actually many different industries that rely on electric actuators. For instance in farming, this is used for control of accessory drives on tractors and other types of farm equipment. However, these actuators are also beneficial for other industries outside of farming and agricultural to include:
- Medical and healthcare
- Marine Equipment
Benefits Of Electric Actuators
There are many other benefits, Along with electric actuators being used in a range of industries, Of course, to enjoy the highest level of benefits it is important to purchase only the best quality actuator available and from a trusted manufacturer. Some of the primary benefits offered are provided below:
- Air Supply – Because no air supply is required for electric actuators they provide an excellent alternative in certain situations. For example, in remote locations running an air supply line but also keeping it maintained is simply not feasible.
- Power – Electric actuators also offer more energy efficient power transmission
- Integration – These actuators are much easier to implement with programmable controls
- Maintenance – Because there are no parts to replace or lubrication required except in extreme conditions, maintenance of electric actuators is minimal
- Cost Efficiency – Compared to pneumatic and hydraulic counterparts, electric actuators are a more cost efficient solution from a purchase or lease standpoint.
- Savings on Installation – There is also a cost saving when it comes to the installation process. Electrically actuated valves are often less expensive than the cost to prepare a plant for installation of pneumatically and hydraulically actuated valves.
- Colder Climate – Another benefit of electric actuators is their ability to function in colder climates. Often, a compressed air system will be vulnerable to clogging and freezing problems in cold temperatures, which is a big issue. In regions where temperatures dip below zero, this can cause serious damage to the equipment. However, because colder climates do not affect electric actuators in the same way, they provide a reliable solution.